It's been a while since I wrote something like this here. Before we go along with this write-up, let's first define what a Know-It-All is. This is the person who can be annoying as hell because this person presents their ideas, opinions, inputs, etc. as if they are knowledgeable about the subject when in reality, the reverse is true.
How can we tell the difference between an expert and an insufferable know-it-all?
The author gave us the following tips:
1. An expert asks questions before jumping in to give you their opinions. The reason, they want to get more information so they can tailor-fit their answers to your specific needs. On the other hand, a know-it-all would just jump right in, even without knowing the entire story.
2. Those who have mastery tend to admire others who have mastered the same or a totally different skill set. They realize that there are others out there who may have more experience than them. The annoying KIA would see other experts as competition and threat.
3. Experts will encourage you to ask around and learn more to make informed decisions, while for those with the attitude, it's more of it's their way or the highway.
4. Experts share their knowledge. A know-it-all does not have anything of value to share.
5. Lastly, an expert would give you long-term advice. The KIA is the total reverse, they will give you what you want to hear, regardless of the value or substance.
The next question you might be asking yourself when you meet an irritating person would be, How do I deal with this jerk? Here are some of the things that worked for me over the past 2 decades or so:
1. Ignore them. The more I fueled the fire, the more annoying they became. The best thing that worked for me was to not pay any attention. I'd nod my head but what they say goes inside one ear and out the other.
2. Never argue with them. Let them speak their piece and try not to start an argument.
3. Express your intent loud and clear. A know-it-all would probably have things to say about your choices, etc. When this happens, let that person know that you are aware of the things that you need and want. Should that person try to sway you to their side, don't hesitate to reiterate your statement.
How about you, do you have any other tips on how to spot a know-it-all and how to deal with them? If you do, please share away in the comments section. Thanks!