Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Obsessing Over the Numbers


Christmas time usually poses as a big challenge for most people who are trying to lose weight. What with all the parties, food, alcohol, sleepless nights and less time for physical activity, it's no wonder why some dieters get obsessed with the numbers on the scale at the end of the month.

After losing a total of 15lbs in two months time, I would be the first to admit that when December was ushered in, I was one of those who were fearful of what this month would do to my diet, its impact on my hard work and the not so beautiful changes it may bring to me. All my fears were put to rest when I read this great post from Escape from ObesityFocus, Obsession and Balance

The article talked about the worries of one person who is on the road to wellness. She also made mention that there was a time that she was so focused on the weight loss that there were times that she almost "Forgot" the other real life stuff that she has to deal with. Finally, she said that she hopes that come January, she would be on the road to a fresh new start and being able to balance everything that life has to offer.

What I'm trying to say is - I shouldn't be too obsessed with the numbers on the scale to the point that I forget what the season is all about. This season is NOT about me, my plans, the numbers on the scale or the sulking should I not lose weight. This season is about celebrating the joy of being with family, friends, feeling the spirit of what life is all about because a special baby was born.

This season is about giving something to others, the gift of life. The gift of showing that there's much more to life than just the numbers on the scale and the size of your clothes. Am I saying that it's okay for me to binge and/or overeat? NO! What I'm saying is, I should live a life that is inspirational. The weight loss is not just for myself. It's my gift to my family because if I remain healthy (even without weight loss) then I can assure my family that I can enjoy holiday activities with them. Keeping myself healthy is one way of telling my family that I value them and that I want to spend more time with them by reducing the risks of health issues that are related to being overweight. 

So, this month, (and I hope in the months to come) I will not obsess over the numbers. I will try to find a balance in life. I will make sure that this journey will affect others positively as much as it affects me. I will try to inspire those whom I love and hopefully those who read this blog that health and life are the most precious gifts given to you by our creator and they are the most precious gifts that you can give to your loved ones as well as to yourself.

Have a happy and healthy holidays!

Halie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...